Usask Visiting Research Student program


Visiting Research Student



Students from other institutions may come to the U of S as a Visiting Research Student (VRS) to do research under an informal agreement with a faculty member.

A Visiting Research Student (VRS) is enrolled at the University of Saskatchewan to undertake full-time research with a faculty supervisor for a period of no more than twelve (12) months per eighteen (18) month period. Students may be undergraduate, graduate, or in between degree levels. This student category does not permit enrollment in any credit coursework at the U of S. Visiting Research Students are registered as full time students at the U of S in an "XVRS" research course.

A Visiting Research Student is not eligible to begin another term as a Visiting Research Student until at least six (6) months after the previous VRS admission has concluded.

It will be the responsibility of the student and faculty supervisor to make any necessary arrangements for the duration of appointment at the University of Saskatchewan.


Before applying a Visiting Research Student must have:

·  an identified U of S faculty supervisor,

·  a research plan that has been approved by the faculty supervisor

Start dates must be reasonable, and take into account processing by the CGPS and IRCC. An applicant should anticipate the approval and admission process to take about two weeks to complete. IRCC application processing times may be checked here:

·  Complete VRS application

·  Find a supervisor

Admissions process

1.    Your application and research plan will be reviewed by the faculty supervisor, department head, and CGPS. The research project must be realistic, and the outcome achievable within the stated term of appointment.

2.    Once the application is approved, an official letter of acceptance will be sent to you by email as a PDF attachment. The supervisor and department will also be notified when this happens.

3.    The letter of acceptance can be used to support your application for a study permit. Though not required by IRCC for periods of study six months or less, all international Visiting Research Students are encouraged to obtain a study permit.

4.    The International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC) will be notified of your acceptance, and will provide you with immigration, pre-arrival and arrival support.

General information

1.    Visiting Research Students will be registered by CGPS in a non-credit placeholder which denotes full-time student status engaged in academic research.

2.    Visiting Research Students will be admitted on the understanding that research will be the exclusive focus of their academic activity. A VRS wishing to take academic courses, whether for credit or audit, must pursue admission through the appropriate category. For students participating in research and wishing to take courses, the appropriate category will be Joint Student. For students not participating in research and who wish to take course work, admission as a graduate non-degree student may be appropriate.

3.    Visiting Research Students will be assessed off-campus student fees and will have access to limited U of S student services. These student fees provide access to such services as the Graduate Student Association (GSA), University Library, Student Central, and the International Student and Study Abroad Centre.

4.    Visiting Research Students will be responsible for their own health plan coverage. The University will not be responsible for costs associated with health care. These students, however, may elect to enroll in a Health and/ or Dental plan through the Graduate Students Association (GSA).

5.    Visiting Research Students may also elect to opt into the public transit (U-Pass) plan.

6.    Student fees may be paid online in the student's PAWS account OR in person at Student Central in the Administration Building.

7.    Upon completion of the research at the U of S, a Visiting Research Student will be assigned a CR (Completed Requirement) for satisfactory completion of the research objectives or an F (Fail).

8.    An official transcript may be ordered. Processing and postage fees may apply.

Students who wish to register in other courses or stay longer than twelve months must pursue other admission options such as admission as a non-degree student, a joint student, or an exchange student. Please contact ISSAC to discuss exchange student opportunities, including those for undergraduate students.